There’s nothing quite as satisfying as a hot-off-the-grill burger. The problem with most burgers is the bun that it comes wrapped in. Buns are filled with grains, gluten and simple carbs that are easily stored as unwanted fat.
This recipe for Cheese-Stuffed Lettuce Wrapped Burgers gives you that burger taste and satisfaction that you love, without the downside of the bun. To make this burger even tastier, and to really make you forget about the bun, I placed a cube of fresh mozzarella cheese in the center of each patty – making every bite a cheesy, ooey-gooey experience.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 Tablespoon ketchup
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
4 oz mozzarella, cut into 4, 1-inch cubes
1 head iceburg lettuce
1 tomato, sliced
1. Place the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Preheat your grill to medium-high.
3. In a large bowl combine the beef, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix with your hands until the ingredients are fully combined. Divide the meat into 4 equally sized balls.
4. Press a piece of mozzarella into the center of each ball of meat, and flatten into a patty. Make sure to keep the mozzarella fully covered on all sides.
5. Grill the patties for 4-5 minutes per side, until cooked to your desired doneness.
6. Assemble the burgers with a large piece of lettuce, a slice of tomato and a spoonful of tender onions. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 354 calories, 16g fat, 8g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 44g protein.